Friday, August 10, 2007

First Day of School

My summer break is officially over because today was the first day of school. Actually, it ended yesterday because it was the teachers' opening day, but we got to hear Harry Wong speak, a huge classroom management guru, so it was more of a treat.

Yesterday was also our four year anniversary. I worked kind of late to get everything just perfect for today but Bryan and I did enjoy a lovely dinner at Red Lobster and then I got to do a little shopping. It was a nice evening.

I arrived at school early, before seven, yeah!! That's my goal this year, to get to school before seven, which means I have to leave at 6:00a.m. The kids arrived bright and early at 7:15 this morning, and it was great to hear the pitter patter of little feet in the hallways. I didn't realize how much I missed so many of my students from last year.

We have not started the Literacy Lab yet and we won't for several days due to scheduling and placement of kids, but I did get to start teaching my Science and Social Studies class. I am supposed to teach Math also (found that out last week I think) but we didn't have our Math classes divided up yet so I couldn't start working with them today. Science and S. Studies was wonderful! We made up a Classroom Constitution and then we learned how to make a polymer which is a chain of molecules. You can make a polymer by mixing borax, water, and glue. It is also know as silly putty or flubber. The kids had a blast making it! I already knew all of the students in the third grade because you kind of learn everybody in the primary when you go in and out of classes a lot. I had also worked with this group when they were in first grade some, so we were able to get right down to business learning.

I will try not to bore the majority of you that are not teachers by talking a lot about school in future blogs. I am hoping to start my own website for that, but I thought I would fill you in on my first day of this school year. I think it is going to be a great year and I absolutely love what I am doing. I know a lot of people can't say that about their jobs, so I am extremely thankful that God has blessed me with a wonderful job.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I'm so glad you had a good first day! For me, a good first day can really set the tone for the rest of the semester. I hope it keeps going as well!